Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Gadgets and the Confraternity of Penitents Rule

Question on Gadgets and CFP Rule:
Dear CFP,
I have been working to simplify my life and cut back on my unnecessary purchases. My question is, I really want a new gadget that just came out (I've always been a fan of technology, though I have stopped buying the latest and greatest), and I have been really wrestling with whether or not buying it is contrary to the Rule of the Confraternity of Penitents. It would be a luxury... it is not something I need. It is a want. That said, it is something I would use every day. If I were to get it, I would buy the cheapest version available. 

I have talked to my spiritual director about it and he says he think it is not a problem. My wife doesn't think it is a problem either, and she wants me to have it as a gift. Still, I am struggling with whether or not a luxury like this is contrary to the rule, which I do take seriously. I don't want to be worldly and materialistic. I have prayed about it, but can't seem to come to a conclusion. What do you think?

Thank you for your advice!
.
S. (Novice 1)
Answer on Gadget and the Rule of the Confraternity of Penitents

Thanks for the question. Here are some thoughts:

We are to have the least sophisticated and amount of appliances necessary. But you said this was not necessary but something you want, maybe even a gift, something you would use daily. I don't know what this is and it is probably not sinful to have it, but it may not fit the spirit of our Rule in the area of simplicity.

I would think that, if you are wrestling with having this, then something inside is saying not to have it. I would not suggest going against the Holy Spirit Who may be saying "no" here. If you don't need this item, then it would be spiritually safest, in my opinion, to follow the inner block against having it. The prompting to get this seems to be coming from you and not from God, and we don't want to make idols out of ourselves and our desires. That's what worldly people do and we are trying to get beyond that lowest level and rise to Someone higher. Therefore, to get this gadget could be against God's Will for you as He does not seem to be prompting you to get it. Rather the Holy Spirit seems to be causing you to ask about getting it which means that you have doubts about whether or not to get it at all. We should not take an unnecessary course of action unless we know that God is asking us to do this, and that does not seem to be the case here.

How about taking whatever you would have spent on this gadget and giving it to a charity?

I hope this helps. God bless, M, CFP

Reply from S

Thank you! Your answer was very helpful. I believe you are correct---I am struggling with this and seeking advice because deep down I know it isn't God's will. I think this is the struggle of penance...sacrificing things, even legitimate things, for the higher good of seeking God with all my heart. The problem is, the "old man" doesn't want to die so easily.

This has been very healthy for me. For the first time in my life, I am questioning desires that I used to consider harmless, but that were holding me back spiritually. I've always struggled with being materialistic, and I think our Lord is teaching me that I need to find my happiness in him alone. Thank you again, truly.


Peace in Christ,

S

No comments:

Post a Comment