Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Fathers' Day on Many Levels



On that day, as evening drew on, Jesus said to his disciples:
“Let us cross to the other side.”
Leaving the crowd, they took Jesus with them in the boat just as he was.
And other boats were with him.
A violent squall came up and waves were breaking over the boat,
so that it was already filling up.
Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion.
They woke him and said to him,
“Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?”
He woke up,
rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Quiet! Be still!”
The wind ceased and there was great calm.
Then he asked them, “Why are you terrified?
Do you not yet have faith?”
They were filled with great awe and said to one another,
“Who then is this whom even wind and sea obey?” (Mark 4: 35-41)

Happy Father’s Day to you all!

It always amazes me that no matter what the readings that happen to fall on the third Sunday in June, that they are always applicable to the vocation of Fatherhood.



So many of us have found ourselves in stormy waters only to be calmed down by dad… I know I have.  It was after my first (and only) car wreck… I thought I was going to die and that my Dad was going to kill me.  As I was freaking out just like the apostles, after letting me freak out for a while, my Father came in and calmed me down, calming the storm and helping me see that I’ll be able to make it across the sea.

It is a particular role of Fathers to keep perspective for their families.  To be able to see beyond the storm of issues that the family faces at the moment and keep the motion toward the shore.  Most especially the heavenly shore. 

What was the danger that the apostles faced in the storm?  The wind? The tossing of the boat by the waves?  NO!  They had Christ with them and, if so, then no harm could come to them. The danger that threatened to overcome them was their lack of faith.  Fathers, this is the greatest danger to your families.  You have had your children baptized and, in doing so, Christ dwells in them and in your home just as He dwelt in the boat with the disciples.  However, if faith is not nourished and allowed to grow, then the dangers of the world can threaten them.  Only then does the Christian household become not only aware of but afraid of the world.  In other words, faith is a gift. Once the gift is given it is up to you to see that it is used well. So, Fathers, I hope that this Father’s Day you begin anew to cultivate faith in your homes.  For it is faith and only faith that can bring your families through the storms of life. And I offer three things for consideration as a path to becoming the Father God desires:

I hope you become models of prayer, and in so doing show your family an example of Christ.  

I hope that you treat your wives like the crown of creation and in so doing show your children the love of God the Father. 

And I hope that you never stop learning about the faith for in so doing you will become a witness to the Wisdom of the Holy Spirit.   

PRAY…LOVE…LEARN

Fathers you have a tough job! Know of my prayers for you and my confidence that you are doing a good job especially by bringing your children to Mass. 

This Fathers’ Day weekend we also have the world looking not only at the blessing of fatherhood in general but also paying attention to our Holy Father as well.  And when the Holy Father speaks, we the Church should listen. Many of you have seen or at least have heard about the recent encyclical put out by Pope Francis about the environment,  “Laudato Si”  To preface, I’m just as much of a red-blooded American as the next Ft. Wayne native…so when someone says the words “climate change” or “environment” I normally cringe or roll my eyes.  But I have to say that this encyclical hit the nail on the head in many ways.   



The main theme running throughout the encyclical is the reality that we do not have two separate problems, one of an environmental nature and one of a societal nature.  Rather, our environmental problems stem from a societal problem.  We will never solve the problems of our environment by laws alone. We must change our cultures.  

I quote:  “We must regain the conviction that we need one another,  that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it. We have had enough of immorality and the mockery of ethics, goodness, faith and honesty. It is time to acknowledge that lighthearted superficiality has done us no good. When the foundations of social life are corroded, what ensues are battles over conflicting interests, new forms of violence and brutality, and obstacles to the growth of a genuine culture of care for the environment.” You can access the full encyclical through the Vatican’s website: Vatican.va I urge you to read it.

Father’s Day… We heard in the Gospel today, “Who is this who even the seas and the wind obey?”  When the Creator speaks the creation listens.  When Dad talks, the children should listen.  What makes Dad happy?  When the children put into practice all that the Father has taught them. Our Holy Father has taught us what the Creator expects of His creation.  Let’s make Dad proud. 

Happy Father’s Day to you all!

--Father Jacob Meyer, Visitor, Confraternity of Penitents

No comments:

Post a Comment